Tuesday 2 July 2013

Introduction

It has been recently bought to my attention that I have very few connections to the world outside of work and family.......my world has become very small. This is mostly because of a lack of time (and inclination to be honest). In an attempt to address this  issue I have decided to keep a blog to document my progress in building a sustainable life for myself and my family.
So...a little about the mad house I live in.
I am a 46 year old woman with two daughters and a male partner. We all live in an unlined shed made from poles and corrugated iron (ah la Indian slums). We started out with no running water and no phone but we now have a cold water tap over both the bath and the sink, although hot water is still from the boiler on the wood heater. We have solar power and a nextG phone and internet service.

I work as a garden co-coordinator for the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Project at a local school, the vegetable gardens we grow there are amazing, partly because of the budget thaat allows me to by inputs when I have to but mostly because of the enthusiasm of the students and volunteers. Which brings me to the subject of my following posts.

Over the next however many posts I will document the building and planting of my vegetable garden at home and the building of any improvements to the humpy I can manage. There will also be a fair amount of bitching about my partner, who tends to bear the brunt of my inevitable frustration, I advise you to take it with a grain of salt.

2 comments:

  1. Howdy Jude,

    Came across your blog through a comment you left on The Witches Kitchen. Love your work. What's more, I am really intrigued by your living arrangement. (I'm wanting to do something similar - more can be read about that on my blog; linked above. Mind if I ask you a few questions? You can email me at pavelbentham@gmail.com.

    Cheers,

    Pav.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to meet you Pavel. I will definitely have a look at your blog; like-minded people are hard to find when you have a mind like mine.
    Feel free to ask questions at any time; I may even have an answer.

    ReplyDelete